It is located in the so called Icode District and forming part of the same menceyato. Its lands were populated by the peninsular conquerors as well as the Canarian, Portuguese and Spanish colonists, who received them from the Adelantado at the end of the conquest, as well as African slaves brought to carry out the toughest labours.
In 1530 the first temple is built and dedicated to San Juan, by initiative of Martín Rodríguez, considered the town founder. The temple was enlarged in 1558 and was raised to parochial level, making it independent from the ones at Realejo by the end of that century. Other temples were built in different settlements, in 1519 the one of Santa Catalina was built and the one of San José in the XVIII century.
Places of Historical Interest
Church of San Juan Bautista.
Rebuilt in the XVIII century. It has an interesting Moresque panelling and high altarpiece from 1707.
In the highlands of San Juan de la Rambla.
Villa of San Juan de la Rambla.
Los Quevedos neighbourhood
Located in the highlands of San Juan de la Rambla.
Church of San José
Corn Windmill of the Risco de las Pencas